- When the inspector suspects or is advised that specific piping circuits may be susceptible to environmental cracking, the inspector should:
a. Call in piping engineer for consultation
b. Investigate the history of the piping circuit
c. Obtain advise from a Metallurgical Engineer
d. Schedule supplemental inspection
- If environmental cracking is detected during internal inspection of pressure vessels, what should the inspector do?
a. The inspector should designate appropriate piping spools upstream and downstream of the vessel to be inspected if piping is susceptible to environmental cracking.
b. The inspector should consult with a metallurgical engineer to determine extent of the problems
c. The inspector should review history of adjacent piping to determine if it has ever been affected
d. The inspector should consult with a piping engineer to determine the extend of the problem
- If external or internal coating or refractory liners on a piping circuit are not in good condition, what should an inspector do?
a. After inspection, select a portion of the liner for removal
b. The entire liner should be removed for inspection
c. Selected portions of the liner should be removed for inspection
d. After inspection, if any separation, breaks, holes or blisters are found, it may be necessary to remove portions of the lining to determine the condition under it.
- What course of action should be followed it a coating of coke is found on the interior of a large pipe of a reactor on a fluid catalytic cracking unit?Piping QC ;; Interview Questions and Answers Part-04
a. Determine whether such deposits have active corrosion beneath them. If corrosion is present, thorough inspection in selected areas may be required.
b. The coke deposits should be removed from the area for inspection.
c. The coke deposits may be ignored – the deposit may probably protect the line from corrosion.
d. Consult with a Process Engineer and a Metallurgist on the necessity of removing the coke deposit.
- Fatigue cracking of pipe system may result from
a. Embrittlement of the metal due to operating bellow its transition temperature
b. Erosion or corrosion /erosion that thin the piping where it cracks
c. Excessive cyclic stress that are often well below the static yield strength of the material
d. Environmental cracking caused by stress corrosion due to the presence of caustic, amine, or other substance.
- Where can fatigue cracking typically be first detected?
a. At points of low-stress intensification such as reinforced nozzles
b. At points of high-stress intensification such as branch connections
c. At points where cyclic stresses are very low
d. At points where there are only bending or compressive stresses.
- What are the preferred NDE methods for detecting fatigue cracking?
a. Eddy current testing, ultra sonic A-scan testing and / or possibly hammer testing
b. Liquid Penetrant testing, magnetic particle testing and / or possibly acoustic emission testing
c. Visual testing, eddy current testing and/ or possibly ultrasonic testing
d. Acoustic emission testing, hydro-testing and / or possibly ultrasonic testing
To detect fatigue crack ( Surface in nature) usually MT & PT Is used, RT & UT are not preferred
- Creep is dependent on:
a. Time, temperature and stress
b. Material, product contained and stress
c. Temperature, corrosive medium and load
d. Time, product contained and load
- An example of where creep cracking has been experienced in the industry is in the problems experienced with cracking of 1.25% chrome steels operating at temperature above___________ degree F
- Brittle fracture can occur in carbon, low-alloy and other ferritic steels at or bellow_____________ temperature.
a. 140 degree
c. 100 degree
d. 30 degree
- Water and aqueous solutions in piping systems may freeze and cause failure because of the
a. Expansion of these materials
b. Contraction of these materials
c. Construction of these materials
d. Decrease of these materials
- Different types of inspection and surveillance are appropriate depending on the circumstances and the piping system. Pick the one that does not belong in the following list:
a. Internal and external visual inspection
b. Thickness measurement inspection
c. Vibrating piping inspection
d. Chemical analysis inspection
- Internal visual inspections are _ on piping unless it is a large diameter transfer line, duct, catalyst line or other large diameter piping system
a. The most effective inspection
b. The most useful means of inspection
c. Not normally performed
d. The major means of inspection
- Name an additional opportunity for a normal non-destructive internal inspection of piping
a. When the piping fails and the interior is revealed
b. When maintenance asks for an internal inspection
c. When piping flanges are disconnected
d. When a fire occurs and the pipe is in the fire
- Why is the thickness measurement inspection performed?
a. To satisfy jurisdictional requirements
b. To determine the internal condition and remaining thickness of the piping components
c. To determine the external condition and amount of deposits inside the piping
d. To satisfy heat transfer requirements of the piping
- Who performs the thickness measurement inspection?
a. The operator or control man
b. The inspector or examine
c. The maintenance workers or supervisors
d. The jurisdiction or OSHA
- When corrosion product build-up is noted during an external visual inspection at a pipe support contact area, lifting of such supports may be required for inspection. When doing this, care should be
a. exercised if the piping is in-service
b. used when determining the course of action
c. practiced so as not to disturb the supports
d. taken that a complete record of the problem is made
- Who would normally report vibrating or swaying piping to engineering or inspection personnel?
a. Operating personnel
b. Jurisdictional personnel
c. Maintenance personnel
d. OSHA personnel
- Thermography is used to check for:
a. Vibrating sections of the pipe system
b. Detecting localized corrosion in the piping system
c. Abnormal thermal expansion of piping system
d. Hot spots in refractory lined piping systems
- Thickness measurement locations (TMLs) are specific __ along the piping circuit where inspections are to be made
- For 8” ND Sch 40 and 8” ND Sch 80 pipes,
a. OD for both pipes will be same
b. IDs and ODs for both pipes will be different
c. Average pipe diameters for both will be same
d. ID for both pipes will be same
22Hot tapping is best described by statement:
a. It is technique of heating the pipe to specified temperature and gently tapping with 1 lb. rounded hammer to detect thinning of pipe wall
b. It is technique of providing a tapping connection while pipe system is in operation
c. It is technique of fixing a water tap on hot water lines for use during winter
d. It is act of using the tap and die for threading the pipe when the pipe is hot
- Which of the following defines the term hold point?
a. The point at which a pipe hanger is attached to a pipe.
b. A point at which a U-clamp is fixed on the pipe.
c. A point at pipe beyond which work may not proceed until inspections have been performed and documented
d. A trunnion, or sliding shoe used for piping support systems
- Which of the following statements is true?
a. Flange rating indicates flange diameter.
b. Other factors remaining same, ERW pipes can withstand higher pressure than seamless pipes.
c. Deadlegs means pipes with broken supports.
d. API 570 is applicable for metallic pipes only.
- Post weld heat treatment is carried out
a. To increase Hardness
b. To increase Tensile strength
c. To release locked-up stresses in the weld
d. None of above.
- What section of the ASME boiler and pressure vessel code is the basic document for welding procedure qualification?
a. Section III
b. Section VIII
c. Section IX
d. ASME Section II C
- What can be caused to ferrous metals by the low operating temperatures?
a. Increase of ductility
b. Loss of ductility and toughness
c. Increase in plasticity or deformation
d. Decrease in yield strength
- API 570 is intended to apply to:
a. New piping in the chemical Industry
b. Piping that has been placed in service
c. New piping in the Petroleum Refinery
d. New piping in the Paper Industry
- If a welder is to be qualified in all positions he must pass test in which positions?
a. 1G, 2G, 3G and 4G
b. 5G and 4G
d. 5G and 4G
- ASTM A 106 Gr B pipes belong to which type?
a. Seamless only
b. ERW only
c. Seamless or ERW depending on type of Grade
d. None of above
- Choose correct statement.
a. “REPAIR” of piping means change of original Design conditions
b. “ALTERATION” of piping means change of original Design conditions
c. Both are one and same
d. Repair is temporary, alteration is permanent
- ANSI/ ASME B 31.3 code is meant for:
a. Steam piping in Power stations
b. Piping in Refinery and process plants
c. Cross-country piping
d. Gas transmission piping
- The term “NPS 10 pipe” means:
a. A pipe with National Pressure Standard of 10 bar
b. A pipe whose minimum thickness is 10 mm
c. A pipe whose outside diameter is 10″
d. A pipe whose Nominal diameter is 10″
- Most of the fluids normally covered by B 31.3 code fall under what category?
a. Category M
b. Category K
c. Category D
- The requirements of the latest edition of ASME Code Section B 31.3 and any subsequent Addenda become effective:
a. As soon as the latest edition is issued
b. Immediately from date of issue and all piping installed per earlier editions must be upgraded to latest edition/addenda
c. After 6 months from date of issue
d. After 1 year from date of issue
You May Also Like:
- Closely Spaced Foundation for Interference Effect
- Concrete/Grout Strength for Foundation and Piling work
- Fillet Weld Coefficient Calculator Excel Free Download
- Structural Steel Weld Calculator Excel Free Download
- Engineering and Manufacturing calculations Spreadsheet Free Download
- Building Construction analysis of Rates Spreadsheet Download Free
- Cost Estimation for RCC Building Spreadsheet Download Free
- Piping QC :: Interview Questions and Answers Part-1
- Piping QC :: Interview Questions and Answers Part-2
- Piping QC :: Interview Questions and Answers Part-3