There are two types of instrumentation used in equipment monitoring: input and output. Input instruments are used to monitor or measure temperature, flow, pressure and levels in equipment including transport pipes and vessels. Output instruments, on the other hand, include controls and alarms that display readings or provide an alert to warn of potentially hazardous situations.
The three primary components of industrial instrumentation are sensors, transducers and transmitters.
- Sensors: measure the physical properties of a solid, fluid or gas. In the oil and gas industry, sensors provide continuous measurement to detect and monitor gas and gas emissions.
- Transducers: convert variations in temperature, pressure, flow or level into an electric signal that is then picked up by a transmitter.
- Transmitters: serve as an interface between sensors and measurement instrumentation such as level sensors, flow meters, and pressure sensors. This equipment is responsible for sending a digital signal to the main control system.
Oil & Gas Instrumentation for Improved Safety and Compliance
The oil and gas industries process a variety of hazardous substances that can cause explosions or catastrophic events and endanger the safety of humans and the environment. Field instrumentation provides monitoring and control that is essential for ensuring compliance with safety and environmental regulations. When integrated into automation systems, petrochemical processing equipment also helps manufacturers increase productivity and product consistency by delivering data regarding process efficiency and product quality.
Branom Instrument Co. is an industry leader in control and monitoring equipment for oil and gas applications. We know how crucial reliable, high precision process instrumentation is for petroleum production, and we can help you find the right equipment for your specific application.
Request a quote today or contact us to discuss your petrochemical application requirements.
Ultrasonic Flow Meters & Instrumentation for Oil & Gas Processing
Branom Instrument Co. distributes process instrumentation for effective and reliable control and monitoring of petroleum processing equipment. Our huge, ready-to-ship inventory includes superior quality products from the world’s foremost manufacturers. We offer a full line of instrumentation and processing equipment including:
- Gas Analytics Equipment: Gas instrumentation and monitoring equipment including continuous gas analyzers, toxic gas detectors, flame detection sensors, and gas analysis systems for monitoring toxic and combustible gases, oxygen depleting gases and emissions.
- Pressure Instrumentation: Includes a variety of pressure gauges, switches and transmitters that provide real-time measurement of your process in tanks, vessels & piping, and display in engineering units such as PSI, BAR, vacuum, inH2O and more.
- Temperature Monitoring Instrumentation: Includes manual and automated field instruments that are used to measure and monitor temperature fluctuations in critical and non-critical applications. Different types of temperature instrumentation include heaters, controllers, thermal imagers, and infrared pyrometers.
- Flow Meters: Measure the flow of gas, oil and other substances through pipes and channels. Options include instruments for thermal mass flow, open channel flow, positive displacement flow, Ultrasonic flow and much more.
- Level Sensors: Provide point level and continuous level measurement for various oil and gas applications including monitoring levels in tanks and other vessels. Oil & gas level sensors are integrated into control systems to provide a visual or audible signal when levels become dangerously low or high.
- And more
We understand that each petrochemical processing application is unique, which is why all the oil & gas instrumentation offered by Branom can be configured based on your exact requirements. Our experienced staff can also assist you with finding the instrumentation or processing equipment that meets the operational needs of your facility.
Contact us to learn more about our options for petroleum processing instrumentation.
Considerations for Selecting Oil and Gas Instrumentation
It is important to consider the following criteria when researching options for oil and gas instrumentation:
- Operating conditions: The environmental conditions of your operating environment are a critical consideration in selecting processing instruments. Exposure to extreme heat and chemicals or other caustic substances can damage sensors or impact the reliability of the readings.
- Performance Characteristics: Different applications have different requirements for sensitivity, sensor reading range and accuracy, screen type and resolution, and general performance.
- Maintenance Requirements: Field instrumentation requires regular maintenance, including calibration, to ensure accuracy reliability. Choose instruments that are easy to maintain and are from a company that provides onsite maintenance services when required.
- Reliability & Durability: Processing instrumentation should be durable enough to withstand your operating conditions and frequency of use.
- Impact on Processes: Determine if and how the type of oil and gas instrumentation you select will impact flow control or equipment processes.